Located 12 km away from the city of Jhalawar, Gagron Fort is among the impressive ancient forts constructed in Rajasthan. The present structure of this fort was built over several centuries with its construction beginning as early as the 7th century. However, it was first established in 1195 AD by Raja Bijaldev of the Parmara Empire. As per legend, the place was also known as 'Galkangiri' as it is believed that the powerful sage Garg Rishi achieved immense reparation and meditation in this fort.
Gagron Fort is the only hill and water fort in Rajasthan and has been included in the list of World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The fort is surrounded from three sides by the tranquil waters of Ahu and Kali Sindh. On the remaining side, there was once a deep moat which completed its defences. A sight to behold, Gagron Fort is an exceptional fort which is bordered and secluded by a 'Van' as well as a 'Jal Dunrg', forest-protected and water-protected.
The Mukundara Mountain Range serves as a backdrop, while a nearby valley to the fort is circumscribed by woodland that echoes with squeals of peacocks and parrots. There are temples of Lord Shiva, Lord Ganesha and Goddess Durga inside the fort and also a beautiful mausoleum of Sufi saint Mitheshah, which is the venue for an annual grand fair held during the month of Moharram.
Gagron is a region which has been anointed by the tremendous courage of Khinchi emperors and the optimum sacrifice of the lives of Royal Rajput women through the practice of 'Jauhar', wherein women sacrificed themselves rather than facing capture. This place was once the supreme city in of the Malwa region, long before the famous cities like Bundi, Kota and Jhalawar were recognised as primary states on the sizable map of the nation.
ARK Films captured this impressive fort in a beautiful video which you can watch here.