Gone are the days when government schools were big no-no for the parents and their kids. If we look 5 years back, like most states in the country, education system in Rajasthan was suffering with fragmented schools, teacher vacancies, and insufficient governance. Government schools have seen low achievement in student learning outcomes.
Under the leadership of Chief Minister of Rajasthan, Smt. Vasundhara Raje, Rajasthan has embarked on an ambitious project to improve the quality of public school education in the state.
Until the year of 2013:
- Rajasthan had over 80,000 schools. Many of which were single section (only primary or only secondary).
- The state had over 50% vacant teacher's positions and over 60% principal vacancies.
- Elementary schools suffered from lack of governance, oversight and academic support.
- Rajasthan had ranked lower than 10 and as low as 24 in both Annual Status of Education Report (ASER) and National Achievement Survey (NAS), respectively, across grades and subjects.
What is in 2018?
With above mentioned issues in the background, Adarsh School Yojana was launched with an ambitious mission of there should be at least 1 School in each of the 9,895 gram panchayats in the state. Henceforth, CM Raje's mission achieved:
- Raje government has built 5,590 new schools. Upgraded more than 5,000 secondary schools into senior secondary schools. Hence the state has 9435 senior secondary schools compared to 4435 previous senior secondary schools.
- Every Grampanchayat has an Adarsh School with super facilities.
- Infrastructural facilities like adequate number of class rooms, boundary wall, playground, computer labs, library, separate toilets for boys and girls etc.
- Passing rate in 10th standard increase to 73% against 66% previous percent. Result increased to 88% from previous 78% in 12th standard.
- Student dropout rate in secondary and senior secondary grades in Rajasthan was as high as 35%.
- Raje government appointed thousands of teachers and principals which reduced the vacant places in secondary and senior secondary schools to 25% from previous 60%.
Hence the result is, 18 Lakh new students increased in the government schools of Rajatshan. Adarsh Schools tell the story of the success of CM Raje's ambitious initiative. Rajasthan is now getting better education and better development.